It’s easy to see why the Hamptons-look appeals to our Australian outdoor lifestyle and love of entertaining.
The Hamptons is the home of the original summer house, with stunning beaches, dramatic dunes and shingled windmills setting a picturesque scene. Known as the playground of New Yorkers, families enjoy a sun-soaked summer filled with swimming, parties and entertaining. Sounds great, right?
The classic Hamptons style is elegant, manicured and has timeless appeal but, just as our architectural trends have progressed, so too has our interpretation of the modern Hamptons garden.
The Contemporary Hamptons style remains as simple and classy as the classic, with features such as a modern take on pergolas and plenty of greenery but not as clean cut as you’d expect.
"The Hampton's style is ubiquitous. The important thing is to avoid the expected and push the style to new places while remaining high-end and simple."
With every client having a different scope, budget and brief, there are elements from the Contemporary Hampton’s style that can be tailored to achieve a unique, modern classic look for most landscapes.
So how can you create a modern Hamptons garden in your backyard? Here’s six style tips to consider:
1. Keep your garden structured – Think clipped forms and mass planting. Limit the plant palette and keep it simple.
2. Use relaxed flourishes in the detailing to provide that casual beachside feel. Think baskets or old wash tubs for pots, classically styled copper spouts for water features.
3. To modernise the style simply remove the detailing from items such as timber pergolas and square up all the corners and edges.
4. You can’t go wrong with whites and greys. It’s the hallmark of the Hamptons style that gives you that fresh, contemporary and timeless look.
5. The Hamptons look is all about a high-end, classy feel with a relaxed coastal vibe. Allow natural timber elements in decks and screens to grey off naturally in the sun.
6. And finally, don’t go halfway. Don’t be scared to take the above tips and use them as much as you can.